also known as Woodrae
Picture source: Ancient Scotland
This is the back of a cross slab found at the old castle of Woodwray in Angus. It was carved between 800 and 900 with a hunting scene, a popular theme on Pictish stones, together with two Pictish symbols.
Only a few fragments remain on the back. In the top panel is a man on a horse with two Pictish symbols, the double disc and rectangle, displayed beside him. Below is another rider and parts of several fantastic beasts.
As beliefs changed and Christianity was gradually adopted, the importance of Pictish symbols declined. They continued to be carved alongside Christian symbols, but the cross replaced them as the most important part of the stone.
Museum reference: X.IB 202
Description: Cross slab of red sandstone decorated in relief with Pictish symbols, men on horseback and fantastic beasts, from Woodrae, Angus, 7th or 8th century
Date: 7th or 8th century.
Carved between 800 and 900
Style / Culture: Pictish
Dimensions: 2110 mm Heigh x 160 mm Long x 1000 mm Wide
Collection place: Woodwray, Angus, Scotland, Europe
Source: National Museums Scotland
More Picts on Pictish Stones